Being a stay-at-home mom can get pretty monotonous and if you know me, you know I love to throw a party. So I started having some of my favorite ladies over for monthly brunches. The group each month varies as our friends have moved away and new friends have come along, but we always have so much fun! It’s also a nice chance to catch up, since all the husbands are at work we get to chat as long as we want, usually well into the afternoon.
Today we had our January Brunch and it did not disappoint. I sure am going to miss these ladies!
This month I had a huge bag of almonds to use up before our move so I made Blueberry Almond Baked French Toast and it was so good. This recipe is great for breakfast or brunch because you put it together the night before. All you have to do in the morning is move it from the fridge to the oven and then you can frantically lean your house before people come over instead of cook. ;)
Blueberry Almond Baked French Toast
adapted from Ellie Krieger via Food Network.
- Cooking spray
- 1 French loaf, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 large eggs
- 8 large egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Spray a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange the bread in the baking pan – there’s going to be a lot of overlapping and crowding, just fit it all in there.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup. Pour the egg mixture over the bread in the pan, spreading it around so the liquid saturates the bread. Scatter the blueberries evenly on top and sprinkle with the almonds and brown sugar. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover the baking pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Serve warm with real maple syrup.
Honestly, this was so good it didn’t really NEED the maple syrup but I really love real maple syrup to I took the plunge and indulged. Try it out and let me know what you think!